Friday 9 January 2015

John Piper

What better way to begin my blog than with one of my favourite artists, John Piper. What first drew me to Piper's work was his architectural paintings, and what made me keep coming back was his harmonious use of detail and abstract colour. The way he uses line to only pick out distinctions and not simply outline and describe the building will continue to fascinate me. Everywhere you look there is something to see; something to explore. His use of colour, I feel gives his works a timeless quality. They do not become stagnant with time, but continue to be relevant as the world of Art changes. What's more, particularly in his paintings of churches and ruins, the works carry a sense of the spirituality, power and the ethereal nature of the buildings which really resonates with the audience.

Isle Abbots, 1986


Also if you have a moment check out http://www.johnpiperandthechurch.co.uk/exhibition.htm for more of Pipers work on churches, and an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment